Wednesday, August 14, 2013

RE-VISTING A BLANKET STRIP

Still re-posting some of my previous works I was able to get new photos of while visiting Santa Fe.   And there is a lot of them!  So more to come in the coming days.  

This is a blanket strip I was commissioned to make for some very close friends of mine.   They owned the original,  which they sold.   And they always regretted it.   So...they asked me to make a copy of it for them.   This is the resulting strip.   



This strip is beaded on brain tanned buffalo,  using sinew with antique Italian seed beads as well as carefully chosen French reproduction beads.  It is mounted on a hand dyed blue stroud wool blanket...all just like the original.  

I seldom make exact copies of antique items.  I would rather make my own artwork.  And,  its very important to remember that making copies of artifacts to secure permission to do so from either the owners of the material ( collectors or institutions ),  maker of the item or even the Native family from which it originates is paramount.   To just copy something is really a theft of intellectual property and is not taken well in Indian country.   

Angela 

No comments: