Thursday, December 30, 2010

IF YOUR GOING TO WEAR A BIG COWGIRL HAT.....

You are going to have to have a big attitude!  

Finally I have finished this hat.  I had beaded the image of the cowgirl riding the buffalo over a year ago, but was just not quite satisfied with the hat.  It felt uncompleted.  So I decided to finally finish it this week by beading the brim.  And a much bigger job than I had thought.  It measures five feet around.  All beaded in small cut beads.  But now I can say I am done.

Big Cowgirl hats were all the rage back in the 1910's with the Rodeo set.  These women are participating at the Pendleton Round Up, in my home state of Oregon.   We love our big hats there.  

And back in the day, the women competed head to head with the men in rodeo events including the rough stock contests like bronc riding, as well as bull dogging and roping.  One of the first places where women's rights and equality held its own, long before women were even given the right to vote.  

Long live Cowgirls !

Angela

3 comments:

Artist - David Lemon said...

Amazing.. Just a great work of art. Happy New Year Angela

K. T. Sparks said...

Yes, amazing and very beautiful Angela. I think this work of art and your horse should grace the pages of Appaloosa journal in an Article! I know you were in Cowboys and Indians but you are a true Appaloosa promoter! Happy and Prospierous New Year!

Artist - David Lemon said...

Re-reading your entry.. I need to do another cowgirl piece.. Your an inspiration..